Welcome to the Department of Civil Engineering
Our vision is to distinguish ourselves as a leading civil engineering department as measured by the quality of our staff and students, the impact of our teaching, research and innovation, and the contribution to our society.
- To maintain a vibrant and supportive environment that enables and encourages our students and staff to connect and achieve their best in a diverse community.
- To prepare civil engineering students, through a broad-based curriculum informed by research, to become highly competent and ethical professionals equipped to solve societal problems with integrity.
- To advance transformation by inspiring civil engineering students to become the next generation of academics.
- To create and transfer knowledge through outstanding, locally relevant and internationally competitive research.
- To provide service and technical expertise to society.
- People are our core strength
Our strength lies in all our staff and students. Our environment enables our staff and students to excel in their activities.
- Respect for all
We are an inclusive Department. We respect and value each other. We thrive in our diversity.
We take collective responsibility for our activities in a transparent, mutually respectful and collaborative manner.
- African identity
We promote strategic partnerships with African Universities to collaborate in teaching, research and staff development.
We are committed to excellence in teaching, research, innovation and administration. We value academic rigour.
We promote honesty and high ethical & moral standards in all our activities including research, teaching, social responsiveness and stewardship of our resources.
- Interdisciplinary / Cross-disciplinary / Multi-disciplinary
We support inter-cross- and multi-disciplinary research to enhance our contributions to the field of civil engineering and society.
We promote a culture of innovation in all aspects of our activities. We embrace and exploit the opportunities for civil engineering emerging from industry.
- Social responsiveness
We foster engagement with the public sector, industry, nongovernmental and community-based organisations to transfer knowledge, enhance professional practices as well as inform our research, innovation and teaching activities. We recognise our crucial role in developing environmentally friendly and sustainable solutions.